[mythtv-users] PulseAudio in Mythbuntu 8.04 -*newb

Adam Nelson anelson80 at gmail.com
Tue May 20 07:02:06 UTC 2008

Problem: No audio in Myth

Background: Just got new ASUS K5-VM MB with Intel ICH9 & Realtek ACL883
audio chipset.  Installed Hardy and had no sound whatsoever.  Killed
conflicting audio process that locked the sound device and configured
PulseAudio (which I'd like to continue using) and got sound confirmed
working (albeit somewhat muted) with mplayer and default GNOME audio events
(through pulseaudio).  MythTV however will still not play audio of any
kind.
  I'm probably missing a lot of details but it looks like most modern audio
chipsets allow hardware mixing that will allow multiple apps to stream out
to the hardware and that some of these Intel HD audio chipsets just won't
take more than one caller at a time. I found some chatter about how myth is
designed to talk directly to the audio device and how a functional patch was
posted for .20.x in Oct. 07
(http://svn.*mythtv*.org/trac/ticket/3598<http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/3598>)
but it looks like the patch was abadoned for some reason (or maybe it
was
included -- I'm not exactly sure)
  My eyes are about to bleed out and my google searches are finally starting
to dry up so I'm hoping maybe somebody else might have an idea of how to fix
this or where I can look to make further progress.

Questions:
1) Does anybody know flat out how to get pulseaudio working with Myth?
2) If not, does anybody have any recommendations on how to search for more
play nice?
3) I've seen a lot of ppl talking about problems with his ACL883 chipset -
is there significant reason to believe this would all go away with the
addition of a sound card?  My time is worth more than a sound card if it
will fix the problem, but if this issue traces out to pulse/myth independent
of chipset, I'd rather not throw away money.

I tried to keep this short, but I've got a lot more information that may or
may not be pertinent.  Thanks in advance at least for reviewing this.