[mythtv-users] Dilema: Upgrade hardware, downgrade OS

Damian damian at gingermagic.co.uk
Tue May 20 08:56:27 UTC 2008

Hello all,

I'm having a nightmare with the new version of Ubuntu. Basically my
graphics card needs the very latest beta driver to work(and even then
I've not got the resolution for my projector sorted), but then the
computer can't run myth as it less me the that Nvidia drivers require
CPU's with SSE (which mine doesn't have.

So, I could either upgrade my CPU, motherboard and memory or I could
just go back to Ubuntu 7.10 (which was working fine). And stop pressing
update buttons.

The geek in me wants to keep with the latest and greatest. The time
pressured family man in me is sick of things not working and just wants
a system he can forget about.

One of the things I love about Ubuntu is the MythBuntu package. This has
made my MythTV experience SO much easier and enjoyable. I'd have
probably given up on it months ago if it wasn't for MythBuntu making
Myth just work. The only issues I have had in the last year have been OS
problems in getting the right resolution etc. Myth has behaved well.

So, one other consideration is will MythBuntu continue to support Ubuntu
7.10?

I keep making firm decisions one way, then changing my mind so I'd like
to hear any thoughts from you good people.

Cheers
Damian