[mythtv-users] Dilema: Upgrade hardware, downgrade OS

Marc Randolph mrand at pobox.com
Tue May 20 11:53:34 UTC 2008

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 4:06 AM, Damian <damian at gingermagic.co.uk> wrote:
> Damian wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I'm having a nightmare with the new version of Ubuntu. Basically my
>> graphics card needs the very latest beta driver to work(and even then
>> I've not got the resolution for my projector sorted), but then the
>> computer can't run myth as it less me the that Nvidia drivers require
>> CPU's with SSE (which mine doesn't have.
>>
>> So, I could either upgrade my CPU, motherboard and memory or I could
>> just go back to Ubuntu 7.10 (which was working fine). And stop pressing
>> update buttons.

Howdy Damian,

CPU+MB+2GB is about $100.  If the wife isn't going to yell about that
budget, that's the path I'd personally go down - although you could
just live with what you have until something else changes in the
future that forces you to change (either Ubuntu comes out and fixes
your video problems, or mythtv 0.22 releases).  At that point hardware
will be even cheaper, or you may be closer to HD, or you may have more
time, or who knows what else.

>> So, one other consideration is will MythBuntu continue to support Ubuntu 7.10?

Their stated policy is that they don't want to have to support old
versions.  Since version releases overlapped with the release of 8.04,
they did a backport of mythtv 0.21 to 7.10.  But it's a VERY small
team and I wouldn't count on them doing that every time, and certainly
not across multiple versions.  You can read more about their plans
here: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/322330#322330

> I just remembered one more question, although I quess it relates to how long Mytbuntu will support 7.10
> If I keep my other frontend machines up to date, will they still be able to connect to a MythTV backend that's on 7.10?

Ubuntu versions have no impact on connecting to backends.  But as I
suspect you know, mythtv versions do.  All front ends talking to a
particular backend(s) must be at the same version as the backend.  If
you're using mythbuntu, this may impact your future: whatever mythtv
version they package will be the one that you have to use.  If they
move to 0.22 and your backend is stuck on mythbuntu 7.10 w/0.21, this
will be one of those events that causes you to either freeze
everything where its at, or upgrade the hardware.

Good luck,

   Marc