[mythtv-users] Hard Backend Lockups

David Brieck Jr. dbrieck at gmail.com
Tue May 20 13:22:13 UTC 2008

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 12:50 PM, David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> wrote:
> John Drescher wrote:
>> At work I have seen memtest86 fail on a board for the first time 72
>> hours into the test. That was several hundred passes... To me the only
>> thing the memtest86 or any other tool that stresses hardware tells you
>> is the hardware is definitly bad. It can not prove that the hardware
>> is 100% problem free.
>
> I had a Dell laptop at one point that would pass MEMTEST86, but would
> crash randomly under Windows XP.  It also passed Dell's diagnostics.
> Turned out to be a bad SODIMM slot.  MEMTEST86 is the best of the bunch
> when it comes to memory testers, but it's not foolproof...

Here's an update on my problems. I swapped out all of the hardware
except for the case and power supply, hard drive, two PVR-250s and the
7200 graphics card and I'm still having problems.

At this point, I'm going to add another hard drive so that recordings
are on one drive and everything else is on another. I'm thinking maybe
that could be the problem. If that doesn't work, I'm going to start
removing hardware, starting with the 7200 until I have a bare
motherboard or things start working again. If I get down to nothing
but the motherboard and hard drives, I guess I have to assume it's an
issue with the power supply.

Since this tends to happen maybe every 3-4 days though, I don't see
how it could be the power supply because when it freezes up I just hit
the reset button and the power supply stays running.

Any other ideas?