[mythtv-users] MythTV and the "average" user...

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Tue May 20 18:35:30 UTC 2008

> I'd recommend even using a very light window manager like fluxbox and having
> a nice desktop image that says "Please wait while MythTV loads" or something
> to that effect so they get the impression that things are happening.

I've setup my frontend box to use splashy, and I've got a splash
screen to match my theme:
http://www.ronfrazier.net/ronfrazier.net/mythtv/#MePoSplashy

Once X has loaded, mythtv starts up incredibly quickly (though that
may be an artifact of having a Core 2 Duo). I use fluxbox and I have
the background set to the same background as my mepo theme. One
advantage of that is that when the frontend crashes (which seems
inevitible if you use livetv) it really just looks like it's going
back to the main menu. I launch the frontend from a shell script that
loops forever  so that when the frontend closes (or crashes) it gets
relaunched. When this does happen, its reasonably convincing that it
never crashed and that maybe they just hit the wrong button. My wife
gets frustrated every time myth does something weird, but I've never
seen her even blink when the frontend crashes.

--
Ron