[mythtv-users] frontend for HDTV

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Tue May 20 19:21:56 UTC 2008

On Tue, May 20, 2008 12:16 pm, Michael Drons wrote:
> I am looking to do HDTV with my backend.  I am pulling the HD content from
> the firewire port currently.  My current backend/frontend is a AMD, here
> is the cpuinfo:
> user at mythtv:~# more /proc/cpuinfo
> processor       : 0
> vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
> cpu family      : 6
> model           : 8
> model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1500+
> stepping        : 1
> cpu MHz         : 1331.318
> cache size      : 256 KB
> fdiv_bug        : no
> hlt_bug         : no
> f00f_bug        : no
> coma_bug        : no
> fpu             : yes
> fpu_exception   : yes
> cpuid level     : 1
> wp              : yes
> flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
> cmov
> pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mp mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow ts
> bogomips        : 2665.03
> clflush size    : 32
>
> Backend has no issue recording the content, cpu load is around .20 - .30
> (from top).  The server can not play it back.  I have it connected to a TV
> via VGA cable (TV has VGA input).  The CPU goes to 100%, due to X windows.
>  I have tried to configure XvMC but I cant get it to work.  I believe my
> nvidia card does not support it.  It is a
> 04:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV11 [GeForce2 MX/MX
> 400] (rev b2) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
>         Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 248, IRQ 7
>         Memory at d8000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
>         Memory at c0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
>         [virtual] Expansion ROM at d9000000 [disabled] [size=64K]
>         Capabilities: [60] Power Management version 2
>         Capabilities: [44] AGP version 2.0
>
> So at minimum I need a new video card, which is about $80.  I am limited
> in what I can purchase since I only have PCI and AGP slots available in
> current backend/frontend.  Is a new video card going to solve my problems
> or should I be looking to purchase a new frontend?  I have on order a
> homerun to add additional HD recording.  The backend also has a PVR 250
> and PVR 500.
>
> Any recommendations on video card?

I would guess that there is no way that machine is going to do HD.

Get a 5200 or a quadra card.  You can get new Quadra cards on ebay for ~ $30.

I run a combination of PCI Quadra cards, a 6200 AGP and a PCI-e 16x
Quadra.  All work equally well although I have not tested the PCI card
with HD extensively.

--Yan

--
  o__