[mythtv-users] frontend for HDTV

Mike LaPlante mike at dividia.net
Tue May 20 19:24:14 UTC 2008

Michael Drons wrote:
> I am looking to do HDTV with my backend.  I am pulling the HD content from the firewire port currently.  My current backend/frontend is a AMD, here is the cpuinfo:
> user at mythtv:~# more /proc/cpuinfo
> processor       : 0
> vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
> cpu family      : 6
> model           : 8
> model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1500+

Round here dual core is usually recommended for HD playback. But I do it
at home on an old school P4 at 2.4ghz. Even so I think XP 1500 is
pushing it. You could try getting an FX5200 series Nvidia, I'm pretty
sure those work well with XvMC, but IMO you should just get a cheap
board/processor combo and replace the frontend.

If you have a Fry's around get one of their weekly specials with an ECC
mobo + chip. Slap in some DDR and get a PCIe video card.

Mike