[mythtv-users] frontend for HDTV

Jason Keirstead jason at keirstead.org
Tue May 20 19:54:56 UTC 2008

I'm gonna have to disagree with the people recommending new hardware.
> That should work fine as long as you're only doing MPEG2 decoding. I
> had a 1700+ that decoded with an nvidia card just fine (but then it
> broke so now I have a 3200+ or something... whatever super cheap CPU I
> could find). Just get a "new" video card... 5200 or better (but stay
> away from the much hated 7300). I have a 6200 and 6600 and they both
> handle HD very well with XvMC. If your current hardware is working for
> you otherwise why waste the money. I've found a few nvidia cards for
> cheap searching the computer section of my local craigslist. That way
> you don't have to pay for shipping or wait around to win an auction
> maybe.

It'll work fine as long as you never have to look at the EPG maybe.

See my email just this morning X.org eating 100% CPU for details... I
have a simmilar setup to him (getting MPEG direct from DVB, no
encoding), and a far superior machine, and I can't play back HD and use
the EPG simultaneously.