[mythtv-users] root partition filled up -- no space to start mysqld

Dewey Smolka dsmolka at gmail.com
Wed May 21 01:05:09 UTC 2008

Hello all,

I was about to write a great big thank you not last night to all the
folks behind 0.21 and MythDora for a job well done. Which it most
certainly is. But I ran into a major showstopper that I'm trying to
track down and fix.

Some background. Last weekend I upgraded the hardware and software of
my MBE/FE machine, which raised some complications but nothing I
couldn't deal with. Previously this system had three drives -- hda was
the system/recordings volume (200GB), hdb and hdc were storage volumes
with video/music/etc. I bought two 500 GB WD drives at Microcenter
(they're going for $100 these days if anyone's interested), and moved
all the storage to one of the drives (hdc) and configured the second
(hdb) for recordings. I wiped the old hda and planned to use it for
system and mysql, and adding the free partition to a storage volume
with hdb.

The move went pretty smoothly with just a few hiccups -- getting the
right nvidia driver, getting the db restored properly and pointed to
the right location, etc.

But it all went south last night in the 7th inning of the Cubs game.
The whole system froze, requiring a reboot and an fsck on most of the
partitions. I could reboot and login at the command line, but could
not get X or mysqld to start -- both report no drive space.

df -h returns this:

[mythtv at mythbackend lib]$ df -h
/dev/sda2              12G   12G     0 100% /
/dev/sda1              99M   12M   83M  13% /boot
tmpfs                 248M     0  248M   0% /dev/shm
/dev/sda5             174G   22M  174G   1% /mythlibrary2
/dev/sdb2             465G   69G  397G  15% /mnt/sdb2
/dev/sdc2             465G  448G   17G  97% /mnt/sdc2
[mythtv at mythbackend lib]$

Everything is where I'd expected it to be except for sda1. I can
confirm that the last couple recordings are in /mythlibrary, which is
bound in fstab to /mnt/sdb2. I don't believe that any recordings have
been made to mythlibrary2.  With /dev/sda5 mounted to /mythlibrary2
the directory appears empty. With /dev/sda5 unmounted the directory
also appears empty.

I've had a poke through /var/log but can't see anything to indicate
what's taking up all the space. Using [root at mythbackend var]# ls -lSRr
| less only tells me that the largest files in var and any
subdirectories are about 30MB, and there's only a handful that are
larger than 10.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what might be going on or how I can fix it?

Thanks in advance