[mythtv-users] All sound out S/PDIF

Bob Sully rcs at malibyte.net
Wed May 21 05:26:08 UTC 2008

Bob Sully wrote:
> David Linville wrote:
>>>
>>> In Setup -> General, my current settings are:
>>>
>>> Audio output device:  ALSA:plug:spdif
>>> Passthrough output device: ALSA:iec958:{ AES0 0x06 }
>>> Max Audio Channels: 5.1
>>> Upmix: Passive (using either of the "Active" options -> no sound from
>>> 2ch
>>> sources)
>>> Enable AC3 to SPDIF passthrough: checked
>>> Enable DTS to SPDIF passthrough: checked
>>> Aggressive Sound Card buffering: not checked
>>> Use internal volume controls: not checked
>>>

>> Change Max Audio Channels to Stereo when using spdif.  I think the 5.1
>> is
>> only for analog.
>>
>> David
>

> David:
>
> When I do this, I do get "real" stereo from 2ch sources; I no longer get
> "Pro Logic" upmixed sound.  And now, all of my DD5.1 shows are downmixed
> to stereo.  Yeah, I get sound, but only 2-channel.  That's better than no
> sound at all, but....!
>

> Dan Wilga wrote:
>>>Upmix: Passive (using either of the "Active" options -> no sound from
>>> 2ch
>>>sources)
>
>> And once you've fixed the number of channels (per the previous
>> reply), you should be able to use Active, too.
>

> Dan:
>
> You're right, I can, but again, without any upmixing.
>
> :-/

Also, when I set "Max audio channels" to "Stereo" - the frontend messages
show that the 5.1 recordings are only seen as having 2 channels.

I'm wondering if maybe there's an issue with setting my receiver's mode
from within Myth - the problem I originally posted on was playing a 2.0
source AFTER playing a 5.1 recording *using the Myth internal player*.
This doesn't happen when using mplayer - I can go back and forth without
any problem.   The receiver is an older Kenwood 5.1 unit (VR-407).

Bob