[mythtv-users] All sound out S/PDIF

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Wed May 21 09:04:02 UTC 2008

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 2:52 PM, Bob Sully <rcs at malibyte.net> wrote:

> David Linville wrote:
> > Change Max Audio Channels to Stereo when using spdif.  I think the 5.1 is
> > only for analog.
>
> When I do this, I do get "real" stereo from 2ch sources; I no longer get
> "Pro Logic" upmixed sound.  And now, all of my DD5.1 shows are downmixed
> to stereo.  Yeah, I get sound, but only 2-channel.  That's better than no
> sound at all, but....!

If it's truly passing through AC3 or DTS then any down mixing must be
happening on the receiver. Can you tell if the receiver is getting an AC3
signal (mine has an indicator even if it's set to process the sound)?

Otherwise it's not passing AC3 through properly. I'd try changing the
regular output device to something non-spdif to make sure that it is using
the passthrough device. to eliminate this possibility.

Cheers,
Steve