[mythtv-users] New Netflix set top box and MythTV - some musings

Scott D. Davilla davilla at 4pi.com
Wed May 21 15:36:23 UTC 2008

>A few more specs rolling in from the Roku forums.
>
>The Netflix player can do 480P, 720P, and 1080i, it cannot do 1080P.
>
>Component output is limited to 480p (copy protection).
>
>The Wifi is b/g, no "n"
>
>Box is based on a new chip made by NXP semiconductor. PNX8935
>(http://www.nxp.com/applications/set_top_box/ip_stb/stb225/), this is
>a MIPs processor with dedicated video decode hardware. A
>System-on-Chip. The SoC does support USB and SATA but unless Roko
>brought the pins out, not a change as this is most likely a ball-grid
>chip.
>
>The box has 256MB of DRAM of which, currently, 64MB is used to buffer streams.
>
>And is "Not user expandable" from a Roku Engineer.
>
>Compatibility with HDMI 1.3b.
>
>Netflix makes 4 streams available and the box picks the best one that
>will reliably stream. They are 0.5, 1.0, 1.6, 2.2 mbps VC1 streams.
>There is a link quality indicator on the screen, which is 4 dots.
>1 dot is .5Mbps
>2 dots is 1Mbps
>3 dots 1.6Mbps
>4 dots 2.2Mbps
>
>There is some mention of open source software ware being used,
>nothing about Linux, busybox or the usual emmbedded Linux stuff so I
>don't think this thing is running Linux. OpenSSL is mentioned which
>means strong encryption. If they did their software correctly and did
>not leave any holes, then one is not getting into this box by the
>normal tricks. Might be able to re-flash but brick potential would be
>high.

And a correction (from www.linuxdevices.com) ;

"Roku Spokesperson Tim Twerdahl said that the Player runs Linux on an
NXP system-on-chip processor. The device has 256MB of RAM, and 64MB
of Flash. "

Twerdahl said that while no SDK (software development kit) is yet
available for the Player, Roku is "looking into it." He added, "We do
want to open the platform up."