[mythtv-users] New Netflix set top box and MythTV - some musings

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Wed May 21 15:54:13 UTC 2008

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 7:40 AM, Kevin Kuphal <kkuphal at gmail.com> wrote:
<SNIP>

> Not sure I see the point since the Netflix streaming is unlimited in nature
> and you can just watch it whenever you want.  I think a more interesting
> question is, what are they doing that gets around/through the "Windows only"
> DRM that the Netflix website requires to use the client.
>
> Kevin

I understand the DRM point but possibly the owners of the media
themselves (not NetFlix but the studios) aren't so worried about
copying of this stuff since it's not encoded with DVD level quality?

I've had 1-to-1 conversations with NetFlix about supporting Watch Now
for Linux. They won't do it for Open Source as there are far too many
people on Open Source lists that flaunt using their stream for
non-licensed reasons - essentially folks deciding they should be able
to do anything they want with anything. Their response to me was that
they loved Linux itself as a technology and hoped to support it/use it
some day. I think Roku has given them a way to do that.

I've got one of these boxes on order. I figure with next year's switch
to digital TV only if nothing else is true I can stick this box in the
bedroom and use it instead of renting another cable box.

- Mark

- Mark