[mythtv-users] Remote recommendations

Michael Jones michael at michaelandholly.com
Thu May 22 06:04:14 UTC 2008

On May 21, 2008, at 10:12 PM, Phil Bridges wrote:

> On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 1:00 AM, Owen B. Mehegan <owen at nerdnetworks.org
> > wrote:
>> I've been using one of the cheapo Packard Bell remotes with my Myth
>> setup for years. It works well enough and has a good number of
>> buttons, so I never considered anything else. Recently at a friend's
>> house, I saw that he has one of the Logitech remotes. It's heavy, it
>> has clicky hard plastic buttons, and a little LCD on it. *drool*
>>
>> Are these remotes any good with MythTV? I see comments about some
>> people using them in the mailing list archives. I looked for a
>> do you suggest?
>

> There's a remote recommandation thread about every month or so.  In
> fact, there's been one on the last couple of weeks.
>
> That said, I like my Windows MCE remote.
> __

I purchased a windows MCE remote, used the USB IR receiver, and stuck
the Remote in a basket behind the TV..

The remote I use is the Harmony 880.. it works beautifully with lirc.
Is ultimately customizable.. I've I 've even been able to get
logitech's database team add 10 more "custom" hex codes to my database
so I can assign additional "custom" functions in my lirc configuration.

I love the harmony remote, and better yet.. My wife loves it too ;-)
I wouldn't be able to "pry it from her cold dead fingers"..

I'd highly recommend it.

- Michael