[mythtv-users] catastrophic failure when disk fills up.

Chris Rouch chris.rouch at gmail.com
Thu May 22 13:19:21 UTC 2008

I'm using myth 0.21 (latest atrpms). I have two storage groups set up
- one which has a 300Gb disk to itself and another which shares a disk
with videos and mp3s.

Last night, while myth was recording, the second disk filled up as new
mp3s were added. Although there is plenty in the autoexpire list, I
assume these are all located on the first disk and the current
recording was going to the second disk. Once the disk was full, the
backend log filled up with messages like:

2008-05-21 22:50:27.791 TFW, Error: safe_write(): File I/O  errcnt: 3
                        eno: No space left on device (28)

These are repeated over and over (> 100 times per minute) and so in no
time /var was also full.

It would be nice if myth could spot "No space left on device" errors,
and terminate the current recording (and refuse to do any more until
there was space again). In this instance this would have fixed the
problem without any intervention from me. Even if the autoexpire list
was empty I'd only have to manually expire recordings to get things
moving again, rather than having to manually clear space in /var.

At the very least it would be better if error reporting in this case
happened once rather than over and over.

I'm not sure if this is a bug, or a feature request or should just be
written off as  user stupidity for filling the disk up outside of
myth. Possibly all three.

There used to be an option to tell myth that so much of the disk was
reserved for other use, but I couldn't find it - has this gone now?

Regards,

Chris