[mythtv-users] Pinnacle PCTV HD Pro Stick

Dan Ritter dsr-myth at tao.merseine.nu
Fri May 23 01:15:03 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 08:02:33PM -0500, jedi wrote:
>     SD digital is never going to get anywhere near your computer if you are
> in the US. It's going to go through some sort of STB first. By the time it
> gets to your computer it will be analog again.

I take it you've forgotten about the OTA broadcast stations
which send 8VSB ATSC in any standard format, including 480i and
480p?

And that anywhere those stations are receivable, the local cable
franchise carry those signals in clear QAM?

>     The first "open standard" digital TV in the US was intended to support
> High Definition from the start.
>
>     The reason that HD and digital get confused in the US is that it came
> as a package deal.

Well, the one enables the other, yes.

>     In the US they are a package deal. If it's a digital capture card then
> it's going to have support for HD channels and HD streams. The HD signals
> you can get from the various broadcasters are going to be the obvious
> marketing hook.

Supported, but not necessarily done. In the Boston area, for
instance, most broadcasters are sending 480i and 480p most of
the day, and 1080i or 720p for recently produced primetime
shows. WGBH (PBS affiliate) is playing with subchannels,
offering 480i and 480p channels "Create" and "World" and so
forth.

We'll be seeing SD digital for many years to come.

-dsr-

When freedom gets lots of exercise, it protects itself.