[mythtv-users] Changing default time stretch

David Engel david at istwok.net
Fri May 23 15:07:42 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 06:47:53PM -0300, Greg Estabrooks wrote:
>  The TOGGLESTRETCH key enables/disables timestretch and defaults
> to "prev_speed" which defaults to 1.5 but is overridden by the default
> "timestretch" in your playgroup settings.  The "default" playback group
> uses a value that equates to 1.0 ... set that value to whatever you want
> the value to be. (150 for 1.5)

That would have the, probably undesirable, effect that all programs in
the Default group would start out with that, non-1.0 speed.  Before
any more misinformation (not from you, Greg) regarding the timestretch
speeds gets spread, I want to clarify some things.

There are two supported key bindings which allow changing the
timestretch speed while watching.  ADJUSTSTRETCH (default "A")
switches to a mode where you can adjust the speed in increments of
0.05 or 0.25 with the arrow keys.  TOGGLESTRETCH (no default) toggles
between 1.0 and the last, non-1.0 speed.  If the initial speed taken
from the playgroup is 1.0, there is no last non-1.0 speed so 1.5 is
arbitrarily used.

Now what to to do if you don't like that arbirarily chosen default of
1.5?  Currently, all you can do is change the source code and
recompile yourself.  I have a TODO item to allow going directly to any
arbitrary speed.  With this for example, you could press "1 3 3
ADJUSTSTRETCH" to go straight to 1.33 speed.  That might be
sufficient.  Finally, we could possibly make the timestretch setting
for the Default group be special in that it would only set the last,
non-1.0 speed instead of the inital speed.  Please note the full
implication of that last possibility have not been thought through.

David
--
David Engel
david at istwok.net