[mythtv-users] Front-end / Back-end Setup

Lindsay Mathieson lindsay.mathieson at optusnet.com.au
Fri May 23 17:36:28 UTC 2008

Coin_Graham at genpt.com wrote:
> I'm reading the FAQs about the front end and back end setup and can't find
> any information on how the two communicate.  Does the Backend need network
> connectivity

If its separate from the frontend - yes. Also its pretty much essential
to have internet access so that it can download TV guide info

>  or can the front and back communicate over the coaxial cable
> that the tv signal comes in on?

No

> Does the backend and frontend need to be
> "in-line" to communicate?  I'm asking because I'm planning on putting my
> backend in the attic for heat and noise reasons.

If you mean on the same machine - they can be, but no its not required.
Having the backend in the attic/cellar/office is common.

> If network connectivity is necessary, is 100Mb sufficient?

Plenty.

Wireless  is usually sufficient for SD content but not recommended for
HD. However stick with the 100Mb, it will make life easier.

Personal recommendation - go with Mythbuntu - its easier.

--
Lindsay
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~blackpaw1/album