[mythtv-users] Blu-Ray decoding requirements

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Sat May 24 22:35:26 UTC 2008

On Sat, May 24, 2008 at 10:13 AM, Dom H <speedsix.lists at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Does anyone have any experience of decoding requirements for Blu-Ray
> playback (obviously with no gpu assistance) including full Dolby
> TrueHD audio to the anolog outputs? I'm looking at Core 2 Duos at
> around 2.6GHz.
>
> FFmpeg supports multi-threaded AVC/VC-1 decoding now doesn't it?
>
> Anything I need to be aware of when decoding TrueHD?
>

> Many thanks
>

> Dom

Hi,

I've been doing a lot of testing with Blu-Ray material on my Asus
P5E-VM HDMI using the 45nm Core2Duo at 3.0Ghz.  It stutters here and
there, pushes about 95% with vesa output, and around 45%-70%
(depending on the amount of motion, etc) with the Intel drivers from
GIT on a Gentoo system.  This is over HDMI though, so really there are
too many variables for me to call it "border line minimal" but I think
it's definitely close to what I think Linux would require to be a
happy mythfrontend playing back Blu-Ray content.  HD-DVD was about the
same and I assume they are similar enough in requirements that this
would be the case.  Playing back 1080i content while comm flagging was
a joke (less than 20% of a single core IIRC) so really for the
majority of today's content from OTA it is way overkill; but for
future proofing for AVCHD camcorders, 1080P Blu-Ray and h.264 content
I think a minimum that anyone should consider is 3Ghz Core2Duo / AMD64
x2 (which is the AMD64 x2 6000).

-Chad