[mythtv-users] Mythbackend daemon fails to locate remote mysql server

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun May 25 01:42:33 UTC 2008

On 05/24/2008 08:26 PM, Larry K wrote:
>> As previously mentioned, you need ~/.mythtv/config.xml, not the
>> deprecated mysql.txt.
> I'm running 0.20.2 from ATRPMs.  Whatever I have was put there
> automatically, and I don't have a config.xml anywhere on my system.

OK, config.xml is 0.21 and above, only, so you do need to look at
mysql.txt files.

>> Start mythfrontend on the system and it will create one for you.  Or,
>> use the example in the source package and edit it yourself (though the
>> first way is recommended, and I can't see any reason why someoneshouldn't
>> be able to just start mythfrontend).
> I run mythfrontend on this box all the time.  Something doesn't add up
> here...

Same user (and, therefore, same HOME directory)?  Also possible that
you're running Myth in a broken environment (without a HOME environment
variable) and it's using a config directory of /.mythtv (i.e. off the
root of the filesystem).  BTW, the broken config would be detected and
you'd be prevented from executing Myth in that environment with 0.21.

Also, note that there are mysql.txt files in other places, too, like
/usr/{,local/}share/mythtv .  Find all the mysql.txt's all over your
filesystem and fix them all (or delete all of them except the proper one).

Mike