[mythtv-users] PulseAudio in Mythbuntu 8.04 -*newb

Mario Limonciello mario.mailing at gmail.com
Sun May 25 14:58:18 UTC 2008

Adam Nelson wrote:
> Problem: No audio in Myth
>
> Background: Just got new ASUS K5-VM MB with Intel ICH9 & Realtek ACL883
> audio chipset.  Installed Hardy and had no sound whatsoever.  Killed
> conflicting audio process that locked the sound device and configured
> PulseAudio (which I'd like to continue using) and got sound confirmed
> working (albeit somewhat muted) with mplayer and default GNOME audio
> events (through pulseaudio).  MythTV however will still not play audio
> of any kind.
>   I'm probably missing a lot of details but it looks like most modern
> audio chipsets allow hardware mixing that will allow multiple apps to
> stream out to the hardware and that some of these Intel HD audio
> chipsets just won't take more than one caller at a time. I found some
> chatter about how myth is designed to talk directly to the audio device
> and how a functional patch was posted for .20.x in Oct. 07
> (http://svn.*mythtv*.org/trac/ticket/3598
> <http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/3598> ) but it looks like the patch
> was abadoned for some reason (or maybe it was included -- I'm not
> exactly sure)
>   My eyes are about to bleed out and my google searches are finally
> starting to dry up so I'm hoping maybe somebody else might have an idea
> of how to fix this or where I can look to make further progress.
>
> Questions:
> 1) Does anybody know flat out how to get pulseaudio working with Myth?
> 2) If not, does anybody have any recommendations on how to search for
> more current threads/information that could help me get
> pulse/myth/chipset to play nice?
> 3) I've seen a lot of ppl talking about problems with his ACL883 chipset
> - is there significant reason to believe this would all go away with the
> addition of a sound card?  My time is worth more than a sound card if it
> will fix the problem, but if this issue traces out to pulse/myth
> independent of chipset, I'd rather not throw away money.
>
> I tried to keep this short, but I've got a lot more information that may
> or may not be pertinent.  Thanks in advance at least for reviewing this.

Well the easiest way i've found is this:

1) Install libasound2-plugins
2) asoundconf set-pulse
3) Make sure that your audio device is set to alsa:default in Myth

You may also have luck just setting your device in myth to:

alsa:pulse

But I had difficulties with that.

Mind you i dislike pulseaudio because it ends up being such a pain.

--
Mario Limonciello
mario.mailing at gmail.com