[mythtv-users] Help: No program info for QAM256 channels

Mark J. Small msmall at eastlink.ca
Mon May 26 16:58:36 UTC 2008

I've been putting off setting up my qam card because it sounded pretty
painful.

Here's the way I think it SHOULD work.  Shame I haven't coded anything in 8
years, and don't know c++...

Set up schedules direct lineup that includes the digital channels.  Perhaps
create a lineup with only the digital channels.  The channel numbers will be
the meaningless (set up arbitrarily by the cable company, having no relation
to frequency/pid) ones that show up on the digital cable box.

Scan for channels with the QAM card/HDHR, or input a channel map created with
DVB tools.  These channel numbers will be the real frequencies/pids that are
sent down the pipe.

Map the schedules direct lineup

Go through all of the found/imported channels, and for each one, choose which
channel in the schedules direct lineup the channel is.  No messing around
with xmltv ids, no database hacking.

For instance, on my cable system, I'd be stepping through the found channels,
and find that there is an unencrypted channel on channel 39 (315 MHz), pid 7.
I'd watch it long enough to see that it is TLC, then in the channel editor,
I'd tell myth that this is channel 77, TLC in the SD lineup.

That's would be enough in my IDEAL world.

Mark