[mythtv-users] MB died, reinstallation help/advice

Javier Perez pepebuho at gmail.com
Tue May 27 01:27:46 UTC 2008

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 7:16 AM, darth vader <darth.vader.sl at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I have to reinstall my system. I had a working Mythdora 4 box, but the
> MB died. Got a new board, and put the old drive in it, and it refuses
> to boot. LVM error. See here (http://g-ding.tv/?q=node/3412) if
> interested.
>
> Anyway, I can access the LVM's on the old drive via a knoppix boot cd.
> I have copied off all my videos, and recordings. I have also copied
> off the daily DB backups that were done.
>
> So long story short, I have to use the old data drive for the new
> install. I don't have any other sata drives laying around.
>
> How can I install on the new system and get all my old data back. From
> reading up, I can do the new install, copy my recorded shows over to
> /storage/recordings, drop the mythconverge database, recreate it from
> the backup(a backup was done a less then 24 hours before the crash,
> lucky me), then restart myth. From what I read, myth will upgrade the
> DB to the new schema if needed correct?
>
> I am just trying to find a way to do this as painless as possible. Any
> advice on the steps to do this, or to correct my LVM issue would be
> greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> joe

Hi.
I have never had to do this, but I think this is a fair guide to what you
wuld have to do. Once I had to reinstall the volume group, and I have even
added a second HD to an existing volume group therefore I am not that rookie
yet.

I saw this article that may explain things better than I can
http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=printview&t=1276&start=0

If you can't find the logical volume groups, then maybe you will have to use
pvscan and/ or pvdisplay to see where everything is set up.
Here is the man page, it is easier to read it here.
http://linux.die.net/man/8/lvm

JP
 <http://linux.die.net/man/8/pvscan>

--