[mythtv-users] Cannot locate your home directory. Please set the environment variable HOME or MYTHCONFDIR

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Tue May 27 12:19:22 UTC 2008

> Are you using the mythbackend start scripts that Nick Morrott worked
> on?  I think they're a standard part of the ATrpms packages.  They're
> the (fedora) ones at
> http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/browser/branches/release-0-21-fixes/mythtv/contrib/init_scripts

I have just started using these on my CentOS 5.1 system as I too am
getting these errors. But unfortunately it hasn't fixed the problem
for me and I'm still getting this in my cron job output:

2008-05-27 16:45:16.854 Cannot locate your home directory. Please set the
+environment variable HOME or MYTHCONFDIR

I thought these scripts would fix it. As per Michael's advice a while
back I also put this line in /etc/crontab:
HOME=/home/mythtv

That worked for a while but things broke again after updating the
mythtv packages.

I'm not sure what to do now.

Regards,
Phill