[mythtv-users] I quit -- unless I can get some help!

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Thu May 29 02:34:20 UTC 2008

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 9:23 PM, allene222 <nabble at oldpaloalto.com> wrote:

> I devoted the entire day to this thing.  Starting with a working system
> now I can't find menus I used before.  I am on my last straw.  I can't
> find anything useful in the archives although even I have said this was
> simple in the past.  I am so frustrated I am just going to give up
> unless this message gets me some much needed help.
>
> I had a mythbuntu HDTV setup working on my Samsung display and monitor
> speakers.  Running with Pinnacle USB Stick.  I took it down to install
> in my system and the following happened:
> 1) No SPDIF. I enabled it but nothing.  No idea what to do.  (P4P800E
> Deluxe MB with built in SPDIF coax and optical -- I have tried both into
> a tested working cable with no output)
> 2) I got a message saying I there were updates available.  I made the
> mistake of saying OK.
> 3) An hour or so later, my 7.10 system is now an 8.04 system and the
> Pinnacle tuner no longer works.
> 4) Just trying to continue my experiments, I set up the projector.
> Obviously XvMC (required for my system) is no longer there.
> 5) I spend 2 hours looking at every menu multiple times trying to find
> the XvMC option that I remember as being so obvious.  I have the Nvidea
> driver installed (at least I clicked that box).  Nothing looks the same
> as I remember. My notes just say select XvMC in the setup menu.  I can't
> find it.

I'm no ubuntu expert, but I would start with just getting your nvidia
drivers in order.  Much information can be found here:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/XvMC

includes the first steps of installing the drivers via the envy project for
Ubuntu that kind of handles it all for you:

http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html

Let me know how that goes.  Another thing that I could recommend that might
help you if you are willing would be to use Mythbuntu instead of rolling
your own system as that installer does much of the work for you:

http://www.mythbuntu.org/

Kevin