[mythtv-users] VIA EPIA EX for mythtv front+backend (newbie)

Wouter van Atteveldt wouter at 2at.nl
Thu May 29 09:49:07 UTC 2008

Dear list,

I am a MythTV newbie looking to buy hardware for a first-time installation. I want to place the computer in the living room in a relatively shallow bookcase, so I am considering a case for a mini itx board. I will be using it for recording and playing from analog cable of moderate quality, and may move to digital as soon as our local cable provider (UPC) gets its act together; I will also use it to play DVDs and MP3/FLAC audio.

Since I have a HDMI TV and a stereo with S/PDIF input, and I want the machine to be as silent as possible, the VIA EPIA EX seemed a sensible choice (http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/mainboards/motherboards.jsp?motherboard_id=450). A (non-exhaustive) search on the internet and the archive of this mailing list indicated that people have used VIA EPIA mainboards for mythtv, but there seem to be some driver issues.

If I understand things correctly, the modest CPU power of the EPIA should be compensated by the onboard MPEG decoder, but I guess this is only relevant if the linux drivers can actually use this decoder?

My question is: Would this be a sensible choice for a first time install with the parameters given above? Do people have experience with this mainboard? Can I expect driver issues with the components on the mainboard?

(A secondary question: I have a Pinnacle        PCTV 110i from a previous experiment; would you advise keeping that or buying a newer card, eg a Hauppauge pvr350 or 500)

Many thanks,

-- Wouter