[mythtv-users] I quit -- unless I can get some help!

Ismo Tanskanen ismot at telemail.fi
Thu May 29 11:17:00 UTC 2008

I devoted the entire day to this thing. Starting with a working system
now I can't find menus I used before. I am on my last straw. I can't
find anything useful in the archives although even I have said this was
simple in the past. I am so frustrated I am just going to give up
unless this message gets me some much needed help.

I had a mythbuntu HDTV setup working on my Samsung display and monitor
speakers. Running with Pinnacle USB Stick. I took it down to install
in my system and the following happened:
1) No SPDIF. I enabled it but nothing. No idea what to do. (P4P800E
Deluxe MB with built in SPDIF coax and optical -- I have tried both into
a tested working cable with no output)
2) I got a message saying I there were updates available. I made the
mistake of saying OK.
3) An hour or so later, my 7.10 system is now an 8.04 system and the
Pinnacle tuner no longer works.
4) Just trying to continue my experiments, I set up the projector.
Obviously XvMC (required for my system) is no longer there.
5) I spend 2 hours looking at every menu multiple times trying to find
the XvMC option that I remember as being so obvious. I have the Nvidea
driver installed (at least I clicked that box). Nothing looks the same
as I remember. My notes just say select XvMC in the setup menu. I can't
find it.

I go online look at the manual. XvMC is mentioned in a note but not in
the text. Online just guidance to select it from the menu. I can't
find the damn thing in any of the menus. What is this video wizard
thing that just hangs up when I select it. I don't remember it...

I have hit CTRL-ALT-BKS so many times I can't count them.

I have not had a lot of luck on this forum getting answers. I have been
advised that I don't properly express the effort I have made before
posting. Well, I waited through a few hours of the mythtv server being
down, found nothing, did a security upgrade that trashed my system. I
have searched archives and googled what I can think of. I am ready to
quit but really want this thing to work. Look, I have run a linux
server, have written 10,000 line programs, managed a group at Intel, I
am not a dummy but this thing has me pinned down.

If you help me, you will be my friend forever.

Specifically any of these questions would be useful"
1) How do I get XvMC back?
2) Is it possible to get my tuner working after this upgrade or do I
need to go back to 7.10?
3) How do I get SPDIF working?

Also, my projector is 720x1280. That was not an option on the 6200
driver. What do I need to do to get this? The PT-U100A was not listed
as an option under Panasonic. I selected a 1080i option and let the
projector downconvert but that seems silly. Any guidance on this
problem as well?

If I can't get this solved, I will just go sailing and take this up next
year. Pay the Dish bill and forget HDTV.

Allen

1 - You must play with playback profiles in settings - tv settings -
playback.
Create new profile, and set match criteria > 0 and select standard xvmc
as decoder

2 - Don't know

3 - This is very common problem. This is how I worked it out (I don't
know if you even have alsa sound system but anyway):
* run amixer in terminal. It shows you available mixer controls. Locate
mixer that handles spdif out for example "IEC958"
* goto general settings and set passthrough output device manually same
for example "IEC958" and enable ac3 and dts passthrough.
* There is lot of articles how to get it working, if this will not help.

For projector, you should google "1280x720 modeline". You get tons of
messages with modelines to that resolution. Some of them will work with
panasonic, I think there should be exact modeline for this model. Then
you can edit xorg.conf manually to add this resolution. I had also set
useediddpi disabled to get this working. Set also useevents to true

Here is part of my xorg.conf:

Section "Device"
Identifier  "Device_nvidia"

Option "UseEDIDDpi" "false"

Option      "UseEvents"           "true"

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier  "Monitor1"
    DisplaySize 256 144
    HorizSync 10.0-70.0
    VertRefresh 48-52
    Modeline "1280x720 at 50" 62.100 1280 1368 1424 1656 720 724 730 750 -hsync +vsync

- Kane