[mythtv-users] VIA EPIA EX for mythtv front+backend (newbie)

Jerry Bett bjett80 at gmail.com
Thu May 29 12:37:44 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 7:15 AM, Marc <drayson at net1plus.com> wrote:
>> I would also take a look at the Shuttle brand of quite small computers.
>> They are a popular choice here on the list.
>>
>> http://us.shuttle.com/
>>
>> William
>
> Thanks for the advice!
>
> I considered the shuttle systems (eg SG33G5M or SN68PTG6 Deluxe ) but if I
> am correct they are 31 cm deep, so I would prefer a smaller solution (I
> would have to turn it around 90 degrees and leave space for the CD and
> connectors, which is ugly and takes a lot of shelf space).
>
> Also, from the specs I get the idea that performance is a more important
> consideration for them than noise, can anyone comment on how silent these
> systems are  / can be made?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -- wouter
>
> We sell these to customers at work, they come back frequently for repairs.
> So much so that we have started swapping them out for actual desktops.
>
> How much room are you working with?
> If you have the room and don't care about money, you could build your own
> HTPC using one of these chassis from thermaltake.
> http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Category.aspx?C=1147
>
> If you want as compact as possible, with everything built-in, do not plan to
> put a capture card in it, and DEAD silent you could go for an Apple TV.
> http://www.apple.com/appletv/
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Apple_TV
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Installing_MythFrontend_on_Apple_TV_usi
> ng_Gentoo
> As stated, this is a frontend only option.
> Downside is its not upgradable and you're limited to 40GB or 160GB HDD's for
> video/music storage locally. Unless you want to crack open the machine and
> void the warranty to increase the HDD size. It is however, feasible to
> connect an external USB HDD enclosure to get extra local storage. And with
> uPnP you can actually store video/music on your backend now as well.

Wouter,

I settled on the EPIA myself as a good choice for small size.  My own experience
was that the smaller the case the more heat problems you have .... even with the
EPIA.  I could never find a hard drive that would run cool enough to
co-exist in the
case with the EPIA.  More aggressive case fans solved the heat problem but
raised the noise level.

I finally moved to a larger case ... I believe it was a 'flex' case to
resolve the heat
issues but provide a quieter solution.