[mythtv-users] VIA EPIA EX for mythtv front+backend (newbie)

Brian Phillips brian.phillips at gmx.net
Thu May 29 12:55:28 UTC 2008

Marc wrote:
> We sell these to customers at work, they come back frequently for
> repairs.
> So much so that we have started swapping them out for actual desktops.
>
> How much room are you working with?
> If you have the room and don't care about money, you could build your
> own HTPC using one of these chassis from thermaltake.
> http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Category.aspx?C=1147
>
> If you want as compact as possible, with everything built-in, do not
> plan to put a capture card in it, and DEAD silent you could go for an
> Apple TV.

I highly recommend the appletv.  It's dead silent, small, has wireless, and
does HD.  Most people (myself included) use it as a dedicated frontend, but
if you wanted to attach a USB hub to it and do some fenangling, I'd wager
you could get a large storage drive and either a network based or USB based
tuner and have your backend running on it as well.

And with the atv-bootloader, you have no need to crack open the case and
void your warranty (if you are worried about that).  The atv-bootloader has
all the instructions you'll need to install linux without using more than a
USB thumb drive.

Brian