[mythtv-users] VIA EPIA EX for mythtv front+backend (newbie)

Herman Kuiper herman at frontier.nl
Thu May 29 20:43:33 UTC 2008

> I was considering a nexus psile case
> (http://www.psile.com/index.php?page=catalog_details&CID=2), they claim
> that the inner element functions as a heat sink for the hard disk, but I
> have no idea whether the one case fan will generate enough flow to cool
> both hdd and EPIA. I guess another solution is to use a network drive for
> the storage, and restrict the built-in hdd to the OS. In that case, it
> should hardly be used during normal functioning, so that might solve the
> heat problem.

I'm running two frontends based on the EPIA M10000 board, running a
customized Minimyth. Both have no fans, no HDD (they boot from the LAN).
Given your location (same as mine) there's no HDTV to speak of, so you
might get by using one of these (probably on the cheap 2nd hand).

Else, you might want to drop by with ikbenstil.nl - they specialize in
silent PCs (with "regular" mobo's) - they're quite helpful (I'm building a
new frontend with some of their parts).

> Do you have any suggestions on hdds that are low in noise and/or heat?

They should know about this as well. I think the Samsungs are generally
quiet and not too hot.

> and may move to digital as soon as our local cable provider (UPC) gets
> its act together;

Yeah right :-) I'll be moving house in a couple of months, and probably
will switch to satellite then (so I can also get BBC3/4)

	Herman