[mythtv-users] HDTV solution @1080i ???

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Fri May 30 14:53:34 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 4:51 PM, Phil Vid <phil.vid at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 1:45 PM,  <zoiks2004-ivtv at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> That said, I'd really like to know what people have
>> working for full 1080i hi-def playback, on a 1080x1920
>> native display. Specifically, the combination of:
>>
>> 1) video card
>> 2) television
>> 3) link between video card and television
>>
>> which gives 1080i without jumps, tearing, combs, sync
>> issues, etc. Oh, and without crashing the system, too.
>
> Nothing.
>
> 1) Nvidia GeForce 7300SE
> 2) Sony Bravia XBR which does 1080i / p natively.
> 3) DVI to HDMI
>
> I'm in Australia so there are a few channels with 1080i. Using 169.12
> nvidia drivers now gets successful 1080i display but playback will
> stray from perfect quality to deinterlacing artifacts and back again.
> The current theory is that there is some slight scaling being done by
> the drivers causing the fields to get messed with but it doesn't
> appear easy to debug it. I made some posts to the nvidia linux forums
> about it but there were no replies of use.
> From the mythtv side, fast forward and rewind will cause fields to get
> out of sync periodically. I believe the workaround is to use one of
> the deinterlacers over the top.
>
> I've given up and have backed out to 1080p plus greedy deinterlacing.
> Not perfect, especially with high motion scenes, but not bad enough
> that anyone who isn't looking for it will notice anything.
>
> Phil

Mine is:

1) nVidia GeForce 7100GS
2) Hitachi 51F500 Rear Projection CRT
3) DVI (to DVI on the TV)

Outputting 1080i content at 1080i without de-interlacing and without
tearing issues simply isn't possible with the nVidia Linux
drivers...period.  I'm using bob de-interlacing which requires a patch
like the one that originated here:

http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/2903

It actually looks great, though probably not quite as good it would be
if nVidia's drivers handled outputting interlaced content at 1080i
correctly.  nVidia has never, and seemingly will never, acknowledge
that their drivers are flawed when it comes to this.  There are
countless threads on it on the nVidia Linux forum to which they've
never responded.  I think they're just waiting for 1080i displays to
slowly go away or something.

Tom