[mythtv-users] Slightly OT: rsync backup from mythbox -> desktop/FE

Bobby Gill bobbygill at rogers.com
Sun Nov 2 22:30:52 UTC 2008

> I noticed that the rsync is running as root. As "root" user on the client,
> are you able to mkdir directories or touch files on the NFS mounted
> directory ? NFS servers by default do not allow write access to exported
> directories by "root" user on clients (user "root" typically gets mapped to
> user "nobody"). If you need write access as "root" user from the NFS client,
> the NFS server typically would have an option (like "no_root_squash" or
> "--maproot=root") while exporting the directory to allow this. If you're not
> already doing it, you might also want to restrict the NFS exported directory
> (on the NFS server) to only the clients from where you need access to them.
>
> Also, when using rsync to transfer data between machines, a rsync server
> would be a good alternative to consider (instead of exporting directories
> using NFS)
>
> -=Venkat=-

Thanks a ton Venkat, I just did an rsync and it is working, however for
certain stuff like /etc and such, I still get permission denied (stuff that
is root on the server).

I got a bit confused there with your explanation of setting the option(s) to
allow root from my server to write to my desktop (backup spot), could you
clarify? (Sorry lol)

I'm very open to the idea of an rsync server, what would that consist of? I
currently have my desktop and server, and an external SATA in enclosure that
I typically plug into my desktop via eSata (if that's of significance here).

Thanks again
Bob