[mythtv-users] Is network required for single frontend/backend machine?

Johnny Russ jruss at mit.edu
Mon Nov 3 00:28:25 UTC 2008

> I am simply verifying that I can ping my router but not my windows box.
> I also am able to ping this Ubuntu box from itself.
> Both FE and BE are on the same machine and I can not figure out how to
> make things work. I think that the FE and BE need to communicate with
> each other even though they are in the same box. But when I click on
> "test connection" I get a "failed" message.
>
> Since I CAN ping this Ubuntu box from itself, shouldn't frontend and
> backend be able to communicate.

There are several reasons that the frontend might not be able to access the
backend or the mysql database. One would be an actual connection/network
issue. Several people have suggested that you connect through 127.0.0.1 or
localhost. That should work unless you have some issue with the loopback,
which is uncommon. The other reason you may not be able to communicate is if
you have an authorization or password issue with mysql. When the backend
setup asked you for your mysql root password, it was needed to setup the
mythtv user and password and the mythconverg table in the database. After
that is done, myhthtv will access the database with the mythtv user. If you
got the ip address or mysql root password wrong during the initial setup
then the mythtv user and the mythconverg table never got created and so you
won't be able to connect. Someone referred you to the pertenant wiki address
for mysql. I would make sure you have the root password correct and then I
would run the setup again to make sure that the mythtv user and the
mythconverg database are created properly. You can log in to mysql from the
command line as the mythtv user to check if you have access. Once that is
working. Then you can proceed with mythtv and you shouldn't have connection
issues anymore.