[mythtv-users] Sound issue that I can't seem to figure out

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Mon Nov 3 11:49:18 UTC 2008

cal wrote:
> Harry Devine wrote:

>>> Still no luck.  After all of my Googling, everything says to add stuff
>>> to modprobe.conf.  But modprobe.conf doesn't exist on Ubuntu apparently,
>>> and I'm fairly new to Ubuntu.  Anyway, when I run lsmod, I don't see
>>> anything for cx88_alsa, just cx88_dvb.  Wouldn't the following line from
>>> /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base be enough to load cx88_alsa?"
>>> options cx88_alsa index=-2
>>>
> No, not necessarily.
>

>>> Lastly, when I run dmesg and grep for cx88_alsa, I get the following errors:
>>>
>>> [   26.937230] cx88_alsa: disagrees about version of symbol
>>>

> Don't know how or why, but your cx88_alsa module version doesn't match your kernel version. Unfortunately, it's a zero tolerance policy when it comes to disagreement on modules and versions. Does `modinfo cx88_alsa` reveal a kernel version, and does that match your kernel version?
>
> cheers, Cal

modinfo returns "could not find module cx88_alsa".  Now, I must say that
I found a thread on the Ubuntu forums that suggested removing the Ubuntu
version of that module, so I did.  Now the only cx88_alsa is the
2.6.24-19-generic one, even though I'm on the 2.6.24-21-generic kernel
now.  Somehow, I guess I have to get that back.  Should I re-install
that kernel or am I screwed?

BTW, here's the link to that suggestion to remove the ubuntu driver
(just for reference):  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/220857

Thanks,
Harry