[mythtv-users] uPNP Problems

stuart stuart at xnet.com
Mon Nov 3 15:18:57 UTC 2008

Stephen Boddy wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-11-03 at 20:59 +1100, Anthony Giggins wrote:
>> I’ve also tried from XBMC Beta2 running on Windows, but still I get
>> the same errors.
>
> Probably no the help you're looking for, but XBMC has the myth protocol
> builtin IIRC you create a network resource of:
> 	myth://<IP>
> There's some docs somewhere online.
>
> HTH
> Steve

Unless this has changed...

My XBMC / Xbox experience was less then stellar.  Maybe the XBMC port to
Windows is better.  Are the following features (issues) the same in Windows?

- It's a plug in, so it is not part of the main XBMC menu.  The myth
application is in a sub menu which you have to find.

- The XBMC client still needs the actual recordings exported by a samba
server.  This, despite the availability of the files by the myth server.

For Windows, I've been trying "MythTv Player".  It has some issues as
well, but I haven't played w/it enough to know if they are pilot errors
or real issues.

UPNP...

I'm not sure which end to blame (the server or the client).  I've had
UPNP issues as well.  Most notably for music on a Netgear MP101
(repeated identical listings**) and on Saybas**** media extenders (will
not play anything after traversing 2nd level of UPNP menus***).

**Someone (here) said this was a set up problem. That the multiple
listings were albums with different authors for each track.  I haven't
looked into this.

***A show will play if selected out of the first level of UPNP menus.
However, for example, if you first ask for a listing of shows by date or
channel, selecting one of the shows at this second level of menus does
nothing.  Anyone know a way around this?

****Syabas (Linux based) software can be found in dozens of networked
media extenders from no-names (metal gear / galaxy 5000) to familiar
brands (Netgear / eva700).  It's a real wonder this isn't talked about
more on this list.

...thanks