[mythtv-users] BD+ cracked in Linux now

Marc Randolph mrand at pobox.com
Mon Nov 3 21:34:27 UTC 2008

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 2:22 PM, Mitch Gore <mitchell.gore at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 12:52 PM, Johnny Russ <jruss at mit.edu> wrote:
>>
>> I saw this on slashdot today
>> (http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/11/01/1728222). I thought some
>> people on the list who would like to incorporate a Blu-ray player into their
>> setup would like to know that some of the people over at Doom9 have
>> successfully cracked the BD+ DRM so that Blu-ray discs can now be played in
>> Linux. It is currently not a straightforward process but it seems like
>> things are already on the move to code up the necessary software to make
>> this more widely available.
>
> now if a hardware manufacturer would release h.264/vc-1 acceleration support
> it might be feasible.  I dont want to have to buy a top of the line Proc to
> decode these video's with!

I believe Intel engineers are working on Intel drivers, and there has
been mention of accereleration in the past, but my understanding is
that it isn't there yet.

But even still, I don't think you need a top-of-the-line processor.
Many streams are playable with a ~2.2-2.5 GHz dual core processor, and
nearly all should be playable with dual core processors around 2.75
GHz.  So max cost should be $140, and if you're willing to overclock,
you should be able to get something for closer to half that price.

   Marc