[mythtv-users] Sound issue that I can't seem to figure out

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Tue Nov 4 00:52:30 UTC 2008

Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Nov 3, 2008, at 3:28 PM, cal wrote:
>

>> Brad DerManouelian wrote:
>>
>>> My advice is to never try to fix a system that's working perfectly
>>> for
>>> you by upgrading. The list isn't complete without conflicting
>>> advice. :)
>>>
>> Working perfectly? This whole thread has been about the various ways
>> in which
>> his system is some distance removed from working perfectly.
>>

> Sorry, I haven't been following the thread. I only went on what was
> left quoted in the message which I incorrectly assumed contained all
> the relevant points.

That's quite alright.  I actually agree with what you said, but in my
case, its not working.  Here's an update.

I just installed Mythbuntu 8.10 completely fresh (since I didn't really
have anything major that I didn't mind losing).  I ran through the setup
and I'm happy to report that I now have sound from MythMusic as well as
from the Analog and DVB channels that I tune.  I had to go into the
Frontend setup and set the mixer to ALSA:Default as well as put the
mixer and PCM volumes up to 100.  Also, I had to tell the analog portion
of my pcHDTV5500 card to use /dev/dsp2.

After all of that, all was well.  All I have to do now is get my lirc
setup back and working, and then adjust my DVB channels to their proper
names (i.e 118#0 -> whatever that stream maps to).

Thanks for all of the assistance!
Harry