[mythtv-users] searching previously recorded stuff

David Segall david at segall.net
Wed Nov 5 14:20:36 UTC 2008

Clay wrote:
>> From: Steve Heistand <steve at heistand.org>
>> Subject: [mythtv-users] searching previously recorded stuff
>> To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
>> Date: Saturday, November 1, 2008, 4:28 PM
>> is there a way to search through the stuff Ive already
>> record by keywords or titles or anything?
>>
>> thanks

> Why is no one else using phpmyadmin? It's a simple tool to peruse and manage mysql via a web browser.

phpMyAdmin is aimed at database administrators who maintain several
MySQL databases and know SQL. For anyone who would like to try it press
the "Go" button at <http://pma.cihar.com/trunk/>.

Microsoft Access and OpenOffice Base are aimed at technically capable
office staff who have no knowledge of databases, let alone SQL.
Everything you learn can be used with any database you are likely to
encounter. Either of them could be used by anyone who is reading this
group to modify selected rows in a table using a familiar spreadsheet
interface rather than the awkward web-style interface provided by
phpMyAdmin.

A list of all the actors in all the videos in your collection sorted
alphabetically by actor can be produced using a simple drag and drop
interface in Access or OpenOffice. A few more mouse clicks and you can
have a neatly formatted printed report of the information. phpMyAdmin
cannot produce the report and the user needs to know enough SQL to write
"SELECT videocast.cast, videometadata.title FROM (videocast INNER JOIN
videometadatacast ON videocast.intid = videometadatacast.idcast) INNER
JOIN videometadata ON videometadatacast.idvideo = videometadata.intid
ORDER BY videocast.cast;". I'm not responsible for this SQL statement -
Microsoft Access wrote it :)

--
David