[mythtv-users] SPDIF out from EPIA EN12000EG

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Wed Nov 5 16:04:51 UTC 2008

Udo van den Heuvel wrote:
> Paul Gardiner wrote:
>> Udo van den Heuvel wrote:
>>> See the user manual that VIA has for this motherboard.
>>> Pins 3 and 4 of teh jumper block need to be connected according to my
>>> copy.
>> Yeah, I looked at the manual, but I couldn't see how to determine the
>> orientation of the block, and hence which are pins 3 and 4. Usually
>> manuals make that clear, but I couldn't work it out from this one.
>
> See the operating manual, page 7.
> Pin 1 is the bigger square, I think.

I seem to have a different manual. Looking at mine again, it looks to
be suggesting the jumper being 90deg rotated from what I had it. The
worrying thing is, that would be 90deg rotated from how it was when
I received the board, and 90deg rotated from what made composite
output work. Anyway, I guess I should try it. Nothing to loose from
where I am with it.

> Else reverse engineer by testing for composite video and deduce spdif
> position from that.

That's what I did. I had composite working and then moved it to the
other two pins.

>>> What configuration did you change to what values?
>>> What did happen?
>>> Etc?
>> I tried the two setups that worked for my J7F2 board. One
>> was selecting alsa:spdif in the frontend menus. The other was
>> to select alsa:default, but with
>>
>> pcm.!default {
>> type plug
>> slave {
>> pcm "spdif"
>> rate 48000
>> format S16_LE
>> }
>> }
>>
>> in /home/minimyth/.asoundrc.  Both worked with the J7F2 board.
>> Neither with the EN12000EG.
>
> Why in /home/etc...?
> Please use /etc/asound.conf. That's what I have here; it appears to work.

Yeah, I could try that. It worked in it's current location
on the J7F2 though.

>>> Did you try the wiki page I posted?
>> Not yet. Will try tonight. The first bit I'd tried before. But I
>> can try snd-via82xx dxs_support=3. For my system I'm guessing
>> that goes in /etc/modprobe.d/audio, in the form
>>
>> options snd-via82xx dx_support=3
>
> That is the old info. Read the wiki for clarity....
> (didn't write it)
>
> Just the asound.conf and the jumper and the alsa: setting in mythTV are
> needed here.

Damn! That's what I'd already tried.  Still, I'll try the 90deg rotation
of the jumper, and hope I don't see smoke. :-)

Cheers,
	Paul.