[mythtv-users] Front end CPU recommendations?

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 19:00:34 UTC 2008

On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 12:44 PM, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Yes, and the Sempron/Celeron parts are single-core, very cheap, and have
> > pretty low thermal ratings - beneficial because I'm hoping to reduce
> system
> > noise as well with this upgrade.
> >
> Not powerful enough for HD.
>
> John

Not entirely true, however, having said that if I had to build a system
right now, I wouldn't suggest using a Sempron. It's what I'm using because I
had basically a $0 budget and I already had it laying around.

A quick snapshot of my configuration:

Fedora 8 x86_64
Latest mythtv from atrpms
Sempron 3000+ (64bit) (Socket 754)
Nvidia Geforce 6200 AGP video
768MB of PC3200 memory
250GB PATA HD for the system, database, videos, pictures, music, etc...
500GB SATA HD for recordings only (VERY IMPORTANT especially on mediocre
hardware)
HDHomerun for OTA HD (ATSC)

Performance:
I can record two HD shows and playback one simultaneously with minimal
hickups, i.e. there are sometimes noticable pauses but not enough to be
unwatchable.
No pause issues in playback when recording one/playing back one.
Brief pauses when bringing up or clearing the OSD.
My only major problem is that the program guide is not usable when brought
up while watching an HD channel.
This is all using the Slim playback profile but the deinterlacing looks good
enough on my 32" LCD.