[mythtv-users] Diskless system

Gordon McLellan gordonthree at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 20:31:37 UTC 2008

On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 2:23 PM, Tero Mäntyvaara <termant at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I am planning to set up a diskless backend. I was thinking if it is
> possible to use hard disk in local system for a swap and ring buffer.
> How else could I tune file system performance?

I tried doing a complete diskless hybrid (frontend + backend), over
gigabit ethernet using nfs, it didn't work so well.  The problem I ran
into was I think more a limitation of my system board rather than the
software involved.  All the traffic over the pci network card combined
with traffic from the dual tuner pvr-500 card was swamping the pci
bus, causing it to reset all the time.  This was causing the pvr card
to lock up randomly, and also all the bus activity was causing the
system to lose time.  I tried different tick rates for the kernel and
other things like turning off acpi, apic, etc.  After none of that
worked, I gave up, bought a 5400 rpm 500g hdd and called it quits.

Just my 2 cents,

Gordon