[mythtv-users] Controlling a H23-600

George Mari george_mythusers at mari1938.org
Sat Nov 8 01:12:29 UTC 2008

Josh wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 8:49 PM, John P Poet <jppoet at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 5:48 PM, Josh <TwoOneSix at thatclothingco.com> wrote:
>>> Has anyone had any luck controlling a H23-600 STB from DirecTV? I've read
>>> where it should work with the directv.pl in H20 mode but I can't seem to
>> get
>>> mine working. I've got 2 USB -> Serial adapters, a Null Modem adapter,
>> and a
>>> null modem cable. I've tried with and without the NM adapter to no avail.
>>> get the excessive retrys error. I have 2 other USB -> Serial adapters
>>> controlling a pair of D10's without a problem so I know how to tweak and
>> use
>>> the directv.pl script. I'm assuming that the cable setup is the problem,
>> I'm
>>> hoping that someone can confirm the correct cable setup for me because
>>> there's nothing out there specific to the H23 STB... other then a August
>>> post on the list where Jedi simply claims to have a similar setup (only
>> it
>>> works). http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/344130#344130
>>>
>>> Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
>>>
>>> Josh
>> Have you tried rebooting the H23?  Directv units only enable the USB
>> port if they detect a device hooked up *during boot*.
>>
>> John
>> --
>> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
>>

> Wouldn't that be some crap... let me go try that. Nope, same timeout error:
> RECV: Timeout Error
>
> On the wiki article (
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Controlling_DirectTV_D11_via_USB ),
> does anyone know if the USB -> Serial converter they are referring to in the
> "Cable Options" section is for compatibility with the Myth box or with the
> DirecTV receiver?

It's for compatibility with Linux - Myth doesn't care.

> I assumed it was for the Myth box and Linux in general but
> I have more then one of the converters working on my backend server so I
> know the converter is compatible with Linux, but I don't know how to confirm
> they are compatible with the H23 receiver. Maybe the Null Modem Cable is my
> problem... I'll venture out today to try and get the exact parts mentioned
> on the wiki.
>
> Oh, and my H23 gets fussy when something is plugged into the USB port and
> doesn't always boot-up the first time, I have to unplug it and plug it back
> in a few times for it to finally boot with the converter in the USB port.

Have you tried temporarily swapping one of the USB->Serial converters
from your known working D10s to the H23?  Or try the converter your are
trying to use on your H23 with one of your D10s?

My guess is your converters/cables are fine and the USB port on your H23
is probably flaky.