[mythtv-users] Mythfrontend hangs - thread deadlock?

William william_munson at comcast.net
Sat Nov 8 18:31:00 UTC 2008

Jos Hoekstra wrote:
> William schreef op 8-11-2008 14:14:
>
>> Jeff Bevis wrote:
>>
>>> The problem I am currently stuck with is this:  After a long time
>>> sitting on the recordings playback menu, the frontend process gets
>>> hung.  Frequently (maybe always - not 100% sure) this is accompanied
>>> by the dreaded "The connection to the backend server has gone away for
>>> some reason.  Is it running?" message.  btw:  backend is on a
>>> different machine, and is still running ok.
>>>
>>> Anyone got any suggestions on this?
>>> -Jeff
>>>
>> I have the same issue and have seen this question come up several times
>> however I have yet to see a true solution. My personal solution is to
>> not leave the frontend parked on the recordings screen. I still get an
>> occasional hang but when they happen the entire system locks so its
>> probably a different issue.
>>
>> William
>>

> I only have this problem when the backend goes away(ie not responding to
> connections, backend not running, disconnected) Are you sure your
> backend is reachable from the frontend? Sometimes it helps to exit to
> the media screen and go back in to the recordings screen.
>
> Regards,

For me its a complete lock. Video frozen on screen. Keyboard dead, no
ssh or vnc access, apache is dead too. No recordings either so its quite
dead. Only exit is the reset button or power switch held for 3 seconds.
I tried setting up monit to see if that might be able to help however it
appears to freeze as well.

I recently upgraded to Ubuntu 8.10 and have not had an issue with it
yet. With my luck, writing this will cause it to lock... :)