[mythtv-users] How do I gracefully remove a storage directory?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Nov 10 04:51:46 UTC 2008

On 11/09/2008 11:19 PM, Greg Grotsky wrote:
> I recently re-built my mythbox (software-wise) due to a malfunctioning
> hard drive.  Unfortunately, I did something stupid.  I thought that I
> would keep the 250GB drive in the machine and use it simply as a disk
> to record TV to since the data is "not critical".  Well, we were
> watching a recording a few hours ago and it kept hanging for a few
> seconds then booting me back to myth.  After this happened about 5
> times, we gave up on watching it and watched something else.  I did a
> little snooping around and it appears that the recording we were
> trying to watch was on the "failing disk" and I got a bunch of
> messages in my syslog from it like this:
> I looked and sure enough /dev/sdb is hosting the recording that was
> giving me problems.  So I want to remove that recording directory
> (from the broken disk) from myth but I want to do it so that the
> database doesn't get corrupted.  How do I go about it?  Can I just
> delete it from mythtv-setup?  Will that update the database's list of
> recordings so that everything is happy??

Shut down all backends/frontends and delete the directory from the
storage group using mythtv-setup.  Doing so will not alter the database,
so Myth will think all the recordings are still there.  Then, restart
the backend(s) and frontend(s) and you can manually scroll through the
list and delete any missing file using the action menu (hit 'I', select
Delete, then confirm that you want to delete it even though the file
doesn't exist).  Or, you can try myth_find_orphans.pl .

Mike