[mythtv-users] How do I gracefully remove a storage directory?

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Mon Nov 10 11:20:39 UTC 2008

Michael T. Dean wrote:

> Shut down all backends/frontends and delete the directory from the
> storage group using mythtv-setup.  Doing so will not alter the database,
> so Myth will think all the recordings are still there.  Then, restart
> the backend(s) and frontend(s) and you can manually scroll through the
> list and delete any missing file using the action menu (hit 'I', select
> Delete, then confirm that you want to delete it even though the file
> doesn't exist).  Or, you can try myth_find_orphans.pl .

It might also be worth, if it is still possible to access other files on the
disk, copying them off one by one to a directory which is still in your storage
group settings. That way you shouldn't lose more than the one or two files which
cover the area where the read error was. Myth will find them automatically when
they are relocated. Of course, if the read error was in the directory, you might
be stuffed, but it's worth a try.

--

Mike Perkins