[mythtv-users] Diagnosing Hangs.

Darrin mtv at aperature.org
Mon Nov 10 12:33:31 UTC 2008

On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 10:43 PM, Dave <davedog at mac.com> wrote:

> Hey folks,
>
> I've had a remote frontend hang a couple of times recently while
> watching live TV. This specifically happens after I've paused it and
> try to resume watching. I am familiar and quite handy with the Mac OS
> X development tool set, but know next to nothing about developing on
> Linux, other than how to use gdb. The Mac has a nifty tool for
> diagnosing hangs called sample, which essentially pokes into the app
> every once in a while, takes a look at what the app is doing and
> writes it to a file.  Is there anything like this on Linux? I'd like
> to poke around and see if I can't figure out what's what, hopefully
> without having to recompile mythtv by hand.
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Dave

There's strace and ltrace, but unless you're well versed in the C
programming language, the output probably won't make a lot of sense.  Also,
these utilities dump a lot of information very quickly.  You're not going to
be able to leave them running for very long unless you have a huge amount of
disk space for the resulting log.  Even then, these tools can change the
timing of certain library calls so the results can be inconclusive.

If all of that doesn't scare you away, feel free to play with them and see
if it gives you what you want.

--Darrin