[mythtv-users] Audio issues with Asus M3N78-VM and FC9

Larry K lunchtimelarry at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 16:04:21 UTC 2008

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 9:45 PM, Larry K <lunchtimelarry at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 9:03 PM, Larry K <lunchtimelarry at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 4:45 PM, Michael Alan Dorman <
>> mdorman at ironicdesign.com> wrote:

>>> Make sure you're not routing to optical or even HDMI by default.
>>>
>>> Mike.
>>>

>> Well, I just bit the bullet and picked up a $25 Turtle Beach USB sound
>> card.  That works great -- even S/PDIF worked right out of the box.
>> Compared to the pain and angst of troubleshooting that onboard audio, this
>> was worth the money.
>>
>> I chose this route over fooling around with compiling alsa drivers that
>> are more current.  Since I use precompiled binaries from atrpms, I didn't
>> want to fool around with source code...
>>
>> Larry
>

> Now, there is a video issue on this M3N78-VM motherboard...
>
> I'm struggling with the onboard 8200 video and its ability to detect my
> connected display device.  I've installed the 177.80 driver from atrpms.
> Anyway, VGA works just fine.  Both DVI and HDMI work, but only if the cable
> is directly connected to the TV.  If I connect the cable to a receiver
> instead of the TV, the onboard display adapter does not detect anything.
> This scenario worked fine before I upgraded to this board.  But then I was
> using an AGP FX 5200 (or maybe it was FX-5500).
>
> I did notice the myth menus paint VERY slowly with this new hardware.  I
> assume this is a manifestation of the poor performance some have mentioned
> previously.
>
> Could there be some magical option inside xorg.conf that would fix the
> display detect issue??  if not, maybe I'll just bite the bullet and get a
> PCI-E 7200GS card or something similar.
>
> Larry

I finally got the 177.80 nvidia driver to ship video over the HDMI cable.
The problem was between the chair and the keyboard.

Meanwhile, I still have very sluggish navigation in the myth menus, even
after applying the fixes suggested here:

Granted, these tips are for the 177.67 driver, but they seemed relevant.

If anyone has any further ideas to speed up the driver, let us know.

Larry