[mythtv-users] mythwelcome setup questions

Paul Harrison mythtv at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Nov 11 10:26:44 UTC 2008

victor rajewski wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 10:18 PM, Paul Harrison <mythtv at dsl.pipex.com
> <mailto:mythtv at dsl.pipex.com>> wrote:
>

>     The settings on the MythWelcome screen are what mythshutdown uses
>     to set
>     the wakeup time in the BIOS or tell ACPI what the next wakeup time
>     should be (/usr/bin/nvram-wakeup or your ACPI script), to tell grub or
>     lilo that on the next boot it should just shutdown immediately
>     (/sbin/grub-set-default 1) some BIOS's need a reboot before the
>     time set
>     by nvram-wakeup will stick you probably should leave this blank for
>     ACPI, command to reboot (/sbin/reboot) -  only  used if the previous
>     setting is not blank,  command to shutdown (/sbin/poweroff) this
>     is used
>     to do the actual shutdown when mythshutdown --shutdown is called.
>

> The only thing I'm confused about is why the script to set the wake
> time needs to be specified in both.

The one in mythtv-setup is called by the BE. It just informs
mythshutdown when the next recording is, the time just gets stored in
the DB it is *not*  passed to the BIOS or ACPI yet and may not be the
time of the next wakeup because the BE doesn't know about any daily
wakeup times set in MythWelcome.  The one on mythwelcome's settings is
the one that actually  writes the next wakeup time to the BIOS or to ACPI.

> Also, perhaps the 'mythwelcome setup screen' might be better called
> the 'mythwelcome/mythshutdown setup screen' as it's settings seem more
> related to mythshutdown than mythwelcome? Or at least some note made
> of that in the docs (might do it myself once i get my head around it)
>
> vik

Yes please do, there is a wiki page for MythWelcome but it is a little
out of date.
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Mythwelcome

There's also a wiki page for using ACPI with MythWelcome.
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/ACPI_Wakeup

Paul H.