[mythtv-users] migrating to HDTV

Dr NoName spamacct11 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 11 23:55:54 UTC 2008

Hi Everyone,

I currently have MythTV box with the following hardware:

Athlon XP 2400+ (2GHz)
NVidia GeForce FX 5700
Hauppage WinTV PVR 250

It has all been working great with standard NTSC video. Since it's going to disappear in february, I want to understand my options for migrating to HDTV. Thanks in advance for answering my questions.

1. AFAIK the external HDTV tuner that you can get for a standard TV takes over channel switching, which means that I can't really use the PVR card in the myth box any more: it would essentially be locked to whatever channel the external tuner is set to. Correct?

2. I am looking into getting pcHDTV card, since I hear it's the most Linux-compatible, but I am concerned about performance. Until now this was a non-issue since PVR card does on-board MPEG2 encoding. Does pcHDTV do that or is the stream encoded in software?

3. Playback performance is another issue. Will 1920x1080 work on my current box? I hear NVdia cards have playback acceleration but it's not well supported. What's the deal with that? I currently output S-Video to my TV, so I guess it would have to scale it down in real time.

4. What about cable? Is pcHDTV antenna-only or can I also record from cable? (unencrypted channels perhaps?)

5. Can I use the current antenna for HD or do I need to buy a new one?

thanks,

Eugene