[mythtv-users] migrating to HDTV

stuart stuart at xnet.com
Wed Nov 12 16:15:06 UTC 2008

Jon Bishop wrote:
> On Nov 11, 2008, at 5:35 PM, Dr NoName wrote:
...<cut>...
>> It depends on your antenna of course. There really is no "special"
>> antenna for ATSC. Most broadcasts will be in the UHF band, but a few
>> will move into the VHF bands. You'll have to be more specific on the
>> antenna that you have and the area that you are in.
>>
>> uhhh... just a standard thing with two telescoping rods and a round
>> thing in the middle.
>
> AKA Rabbit Ears? This is what I am currently using, hooked up to a
> pair of pinnacle hdtv pci cards. Picks up ATSC signals perfectly. You
> should be fine with a pcHDTV card if this is your source of TV. Cable
> is tricky, because they require set top boxes for HD, and unless you
> get one with working firewire, the only way to get the HD out of it is
> the hauppage pvr-hd device. There are *some* companies that are
> broadcasting their digital lineup unencrypted over clear QAM. If you
> are lucky enough to subscribe to one of these companies, you can hook
> your card right up to the cable outlet and tune your channels that
> way. Otherwise, it's back to the set top box into your capture device
> of choice.

You need to find out where your local stations will be after the switch.
  (That's right, many OTA ATSC stations already broadcasting will change
after the Superbowl (i.e. you will probably have to rescan).)  If they
end up at higher frequencies you can get by with short elements (like a
small UHF antenna). If some stay at the lower frequency you will need
long elements (like a wider VHF antenna).